What We Do
Because of Volta’s expertise in competency-based learning and training, workforce development, and business strategy, we are often asked by both industry and education clients to develop competency frameworks and microcredentials. Such engagements are typically rooted in a combination of user-centered design, labor market analysis and employer-educator alignment and include the design of competency-based curriculum and the assessment of “soft skills” and project-based learning.
Volta Learning Group works with a wide range of industry and education clients to create learning strategies that drive organizational and business imperatives. Our varied client base includes nonprofit start-ups, higher education systems, ed tech companies, Fortune 50 companies, and industry associations, among others. In every engagement, we strive to blend a market-centered and strategic orientation with a rigorous and innovative approach to learning and credentialing strategies.
COMPETENCY FRAMEWORKS FOR PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
We helped a wide range of clients develop competency frameworks and credentials for professional development, including:
- K-12 STEM teachers.
- Workforce development professionals.
- State higher education system.
- We worked with a consortium of community colleges to build capacity in competency-based learning by:
• Providing technical assistance in competency-based learning to multiple colleges
• Developing interactive web tutorials in accreditation and competency-based learning
• Preparing schools to gain approval for their CBE programs from their regional accreditor
- We helped a public charter school network develop a more holistic college success curriculum that integrated competencies such as financial literacy, self-advocacy, and conflict management.
MICROCREDENTIALS AND BADGES
- For an educational non-profit, we helped develop a series of competency-based 21st Century Skills badges backed by authentic, scenario-based assessments. These are now in use nation-wide.
- We advised a Fortune 50 firm on contract with the Department of Defense how to modernize a military education program and develop new directions for microcredentials.
- We created a product strategy to help a training company develop certifications and badges linked to career paths.
- For a state university system, we guided the development of an industry-higher education partnership to create and implement an industry-informed, online, competency-based, stackable credential.
- We advised community college leadership on aligning the college’s non-credit credential offerings to the needs of the regional economy, resulting in a complete overall of program offerings.
- We created an employer-engagement tool kit for a state-wide community college consortium.
LABOR MAKET ANALYSIS
- We analyzed career paths to advise a training company on new product offerings.
- We developed a tool for helping colleges in a state system develop IT credentials based on labor market data and employer input.
- We advised a state university system seeking to launch a new online college, guiding them through business strategy and regional accreditation approval process.
- We worked with state higher education. representatives, workforce agencies and policymakers to develop a strategic plan that was adopted by the governor and implemented across the state.
- We helped a public charter school network identify gaps in their current academic curriculum through an extensive landscape analysis that incorporated on-site interviews.
- We provided new product options for an ed-tech company investing in competency-based programs and microcredentials.